My client, who is the regulatory body in the Animal Feed Manufacturing industry is looking for a motivated and strong-minded individual with leadership skills and management experience to join the team as Operations Manager. Candidates experienced in agricultural legislation and trading are ideally suited for this position. The role is based in Pretoria and will report to the Executive Director.
My client is a non-profit organisation representing the South African animal feed industry in the livestock sector and the larger agricultural environment with the vision of being a dynamic animal feed thought leader influencing food security through partnership with its stakeholders.
Purpose of position
The Operations Manager is responsible for the effective and efficient management of operations in line with company’s MOI and the strategic objectives set by the Board of Directors, focussing on regulatory and trade matters. The Operations Manager must be influential in building positive relations with government and other stakeholders in the agri-processing and animal protein value chains to facilitate impact-driven outcomes for the company.
- Implementation and execution of strategic plans to drive growth and impact for the company, with particular attention to regulatory and trade focus areas.
- Management of operational systems, processes, and best practices to ensure that all operations are carried out in an appropriate, cost-effective, and timely manner.
- Engagement with government and other stakeholders in the agro-processing and animal protein value chains towards the furtherment of collaboration and the achievement of the organisation’s strategic goals.
- Effective management of stakeholder expectations and the promotion of the company’s vision and strategy in the media, including written and oral submissions.
- Manage relevant supplier contracts and Service Level Agreements to ensure compliance with requirements, and exceptional service to company members.
- Ensuring the effective operation of administration and its industry committees, structured to support and enhance key strategic focus areas of the company.
- Effectively manage operational expenses and assist the Executive Director and Financial accountant with operational budgets supporting the organisation’s strategic objectives.
- Ensure optimum delivery and accountability of services to members.
- Establish a healthy workplace culture and ensure a safe, secure, and legal work environment.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement and meeting industry expectations to create an enabling environment for all company members to grow their businesses.
Key Competencies & skills
- Integrity, honesty, and the ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Project management skills and experience through to completion.
- Ability to interact on a senior level with various industry professionals/bodies, expert groups, and government officials.
- Solid negotiation skills with the capacity to effectively address conflict while exhibiting openness and receptiveness to other ideas.
- A service-orientated professional with excellent interpersonal, reasoning, and communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and administration skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively manage time, work under pressure, and meet deadlines, including delegation, tracking, and following up on tasks.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Creative approach to troubleshooting and finding continuous improvement solutions.
- Ability to fit in with a small team and adopt a philosophy of teamwork.
- Adaptability to change, taking ownership, ability to exercise control over situations, self-motivated & driven.
- A BSc or BCom qualification in agriculture or a related field, with operations management, business administration, and a post-graduate qualification an advantage.
- Proven work experience (minimum 3 years) in a management position.
- Proven project management experience through to completion.
- An advanced level of computer literacy and proficiency.
- Extensive working knowledge of the agricultural industry, with experience in the animal feed industry an advantage.
- Experience working with Government institutions and influencing and implementing legislation is an advantage.
- Experience in the trading of agricultural products, including logistics and markets, both locally and internationally is an advantage.
- Experience in strategic and/or operational management of an industry organisation or a regulatory environment is an advantage.
The closing date for applications is 11 January 2024
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be communicated with